Friday, June 1, 2012

Letters to a Young PoetLetters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There is something very pious about the experience you have while reading this book. No, I am certainly not a theist. Not anymore. But if ever there were a Pantheon built for the bibliophiles, Rainer Maria Rilke’s “Letter To a Young Poet” shall invariably have a place in it.

Though this is just an account of Letters written by him to an aspiring poet, Rainer speaks to you in a language, which seems to be coming back to you, like a cherished memory once been forgotten. The Solitude he speaks about has already been there, but is rekindled when his chord strikes it to life, transcending a century and many countries in between. And what an effect it produces! Quietening you in your entirety and compelling you to believe once more.

I am sure I shall keep getting back to it...


View all my reviews

2 comments: