Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Sense of an EndingThe Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Has it ever occurred to you that while you are complacently sitting, basking in the self acquired glory of wisdom, you chance upon something, like an incident, a person or a written word, which forces you to revisit your understanding and knowledge of the life as you know it? And then you gasp with a sudden disbelief at the ignorance which might have silently crept in and stayed along while you felt contented with your version of perceptions? I felt the same while reading this book. To say that I liked what I read would be an understatement. What I experienced was a sense of delight, in not just understanding through the memory of the narrator, but in understanding that as human beings, we, sometimes fabricate part of our memory to make up for a more suitable version of things for ourselves. And that while we do understand this, it is possible to be more cautious while recalling such memories and making a judgment.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Touche! This book has left a lasting impression on me. This is my first Julian Barnes read and I am still thinking about it. At first I though how much can author pack in 150 pages but I was amazed how much was there in those pages. In other I can say it was philosophically self evident ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, one of those books which can change the way you look at things(or memories). Surely self evident ...:)

    ReplyDelete