Thursday, September 1, 2011

Notion of belief !


How one is to believe in an idea, it’s very existence and it’s correlation with one’s life?

When such ideas are confronted, which seem closer to our beliefs, we tend to believe in them. But can we really decide if the idea, which has presented itself significantly, is worth even consideration? How can we be sure about our understanding and our conviction in this regard? Even if we believe, then how can we be entirely sure that the thoughts where we put our emphasis, thoughts which form the basis of our very existence and thoughts which stem from us are the one’s which will always maintain their importance and credence in our minds?  And still what surety can be provided in our minds of the long held beliefs? What if suddenly one day we wake up to find all our belief, our faith radically challenged? Can such an event leave room for a rational mind?

If mind doesn’t remain rational and the faith is considerably shaken, then where do we look for hope? 

10 comments:

  1. "Man is not a rational creature, but a rationalizing one" - Ayn Rand.
    Mind can't be trusted, it has a tendency to quench the thirst of comprehension by forming quick-beliefs (and of holding onto them). I guess one has to train oneself to think, to think critically.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

    As per hope, I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. But one has to enter the scary, dark, seemingly endless tunnel of existential crisis first :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisely said :)....yes, the existential crisis must be overcome first to see the light.......but Light at the end of tunnel is for people who, after going through that tunnel, are convinced and believe in the existence of this world too.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm.. do you mean to say the "light" exists because they are form beliefs, and so make the same folly? It happens. I guess, though, while crawling through the tunnel, abjectly and one step at a time, the process for forming beliefs get refined... and it is something you can't learn otherwise.
    Anyway, I think there is more value in being hopeless and without answers than clinging on to comfortable notions. One at least knows what's not true, albeit, of course, at the cost of happiness.
    Ignorance is bliss. But still not worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course they are form beliefs, how do someone knows about them until and unless they are tried and tested by seekers before...... but you put it right that by moving abjectly and one step at a time, the process for forming beliefs get refined....

    Glad to see someone echoing my thoughts. I definitely believe that "Ignorance might be bliss, but not worth it"....However painful it might be, but at least one is true to oneself, which again may give a hope to find oneself with peace one day......:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rakhi, have you seen Interview with the Vampire (1994)? It's a beautiful movie on the agonies of faithlessness.
    (By the by, I have written a short story on the same theme. Umm.. would you be interested in reading it and giving a feedback?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I am afraid I haven't seen the movie......But I would definitely like to read the story written by you....Is it there on goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a rather profound question you have raised! But i really think you are getting trapped in tautologies here.
    1) The essential question of engagement with an idea and its validation is answered at the end of day by what our Dharma is not faith. Dharma is absolute, faith is not.

    2) Duties are defined (mostly) faith and beliefs constantly evolve.

    3) The problem is more of understanding the hierarchy of duties rather than one of faith.

    4) If the hierarchy can be deciphered (which too can be done in a robust, objective rational manner) the engagement, validation and rejection of ideas can all be easily effected

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting observation.....But I do not entirely agree. You have taken the conversation in an entirely practical manner, going by rules. Dharma as you say, our duties, can comprise of a number of defined duties,which are either instilled in our minds by family, society, moral or defined cultural value systems.

    Getting the privilege of being born in a middle class hindu brahmin family, comes with an advantage of a having a rich exposure to the set system of values, as I have experienced. But sometimes in the face of extreme events, when the defined set of duties fail one, one does tend to think what to believe and what not to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am at a bit of a loss! How can duties fail one? Pardon me if it seems a naive question

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, its not a naive question. Just that there are way too many aspects to it, solely depending upon the experiences that one can have. I don't think that I,on my part, can explain it here without getting too conscious.....

    ReplyDelete